The Greens are seeking to push radical new abortion laws through the South Australian Parliament.
These laws are arguably the most extreme in Australia – and amongst the worst in the world.
The Statutes Amendment (Abortion Law Reform) Bill, introduced by Greens MLC Tammy Franks shortly before Christmas, has been spruiked as “progressive” and promoting a “healthy choice” – but the stark reality is otherwise.
If passed by our MPs, the law would:
- Allow abortion up to birth – and for any reason or none;
- Permit sex-selective abortions;
- Remove the need for a woman seeking an abortion to be examined by two doctors. In fact, she wouldn’t need to see a doctor at all! According to the Greens, she could see a nurse, midwife or pharmacist;
- Allow DIY medical abortions at home (that is, the prescribing of abortion drugs) – including regional areas hours away from any medical assistance;
- Deny vulnerable women and couples last-minute help by placing euphemistically-named 150m “health access zones” around abortion clinics. The maximum penalties for even communicating with someone about a pregnancy-related matter in such a zone would be a $10,000 fine or two years’ jail;
The proposed law doesn’t even go through the pretence of creating new provisions for abortion in the SA Health Care Act. It simply removes almost all references to abortion from law – creating a free-for-all while threatening those who would help vulnerable women with up to two years’ jail time.
We have a chance to stop these extreme laws spreading across the country – by stopping them right now in South Australia. Wherever you live, you can help by being a voice for the voiceless.
If you live in SA, please CLICK HERE to send a message to your MPs: “We don’t want these terrible laws”.
Similar extreme abortion laws already exist in Victoria and Queensland – and exclusion zones now operate in numerous states and territories. People have been charged for actions so simple and inoffensive as private, silent prayer.
Even the most ardent ‘pro-choice’ advocate must surely be shocked by the thought of abortion up to birth – especially when the need for medical supervision is completely removed! And we should not pretend such terminations are without consequences – both for the expectant mother and for her unborn child.
We should be doing more as a society to help women with crisis pregnancies – but these radical laws are not the solution.
Don’t wait until it’s too late. Have your say urgently. It only takes two minutes and your voice will help make an impact!
If you live in South Australia, please CLICK HERE. Our campaign allows you to send a message to your local state MP plus all 22 upper house MLCs (who are currently debating the bill).
Regardless of your state or territory, please CLICK HERE. Our campaign allows you to petition SA parliamentarians, letting them know of the significant community opposition to the bill.
Thank you for your efforts. You can help stop these bad laws. Together, we can be a voice for those who need it most.