This campaign is now closed. It has been superseded by a subsequent attempt to legislate for abortion to birth in SA, which we are now campaigning against. Thank you for your support.
Sign the national petition to stop extreme abortion laws coming to South Australia!
Note: If you live in South Australia, please CLICK HERE instead to take action.
The Greens are seeking to push radical new abortion laws through the South Australian Parliament.
These laws are arguably the most extreme in Australia – and amongst the worst in the world.
The Statutes Amendment (Abortion Law Reform) Bill, introduced by Greens MLC Tammy Franks shortly before Christmas, has been spruiked as “progressive” and promoting a “healthy choice” – but the stark reality is otherwise.
If passed by our MPs, the law would:
- Allow abortion up to birth – and for any reason or none;
- Permit sex-selective abortions;
- Remove the need for a woman seeking an abortion to be examined by two doctors. In fact, she wouldn’t need to see a doctor at all! According to the Greens, she could see a nurse, midwife or pharmacist;
- Allow DIY medical abortions at home (that is, the prescribing of abortion drugs) – including regional areas hours away from any medical assistance;
- Deny vulnerable women and couples last-minute help by placing euphemistically-named 150m “health access zones” around abortion clinics. The maximum penalties for even communicating with someone about a pregnancy-related matter in such a zone would be a $10,000 fine or two years’ jail;
The proposed law doesn’t even go through the pretence of creating new provisions for abortion in the SA Health Care Act. It simply removes almost all references to abortion from law – creating a free-for-all while threatening those who would help vulnerable women with up to two years’ jail time.
We have a chance to stop these extreme laws spreading across the country – by stopping them right now in South Australia. Wherever you live, you can help by being a voice for the voiceless.
Whatever your state or territory, please sign the petition to SA parliamentarians. See below for petition text.
Note: If you live in SA, please CLICK HERE to send an email message directly to your state MPs.